As promised last week I will be putting a lot of mango based recipes over the next weeks as it is currently in season and therefore the mangoes we are getting now are fantastic. My friend Ange introduced me to the lassi (She probably doesn’t know this but she did) we once had dinner at an Indian restaurant I think and she decided to carry some home and so did I (peer pressure:-) but I loved it. Over the years I started making some my self. Most of the recipes online say you should use natural yogurt, but I always felt like they used Mala (fermented milk) in the Indian restaurants. If you do not have Mala available you could always use natural yogurt the taste is almost identical although the fermented taste is stronger with the Mala. Enjoy
1. 500 ml of Maziwa Mala or Natural yogurt( chilled)
2. 4 fresh mangoes stoned and sliced and preferably frozen
3. 4-8 teaspoons sugar, to taste (depends on your preference)
Put all the ingredients into a blender and blitz for 2 minutes, then pour into individual glasses, and serve. The lassi can be kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
· Do not freeze the mango whole. I learned this the hard way I peeled my mango and froze it without first slicing it, it was hell trying to slice a frozen mango
· Try strawberries, banana or guavas. Turns out good as well
· You can add a few seeds of cardamom, about 4 for a added flavor, or a dash of the ground cardamom.