Two weekends ago I woke up feeling like I could really use some Java food. Well unfortunately being in the bush the closest Java is at least 1000kms away 🙂 . So I decided to try and recreate my favourite Java dish, mushroom fillet steak with spicy fries. I looked around for spicy fries recipe and I was too lazy to try them out as they required a bit more effort and I did not want to deal with the disappointment, just in case they backfired so I stuck with my own “spicy fries”. Truth be told I LOVED IT!! It even smelled like Java in my house for a minute there. HAPPY COOKING!
For the steak
· 450 gm of fillet steak
· 1 tablespoon of garlic
· 3 tablespoons of olive oil plus extra for cooking
· salt and pepper
For the mushroom sauce
· 1 tablespoon butter
· 1 small onion finely chopped
· 1 teaspoon of garlic
· 200gms of mushrooms
· 2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
· 1 cup of cream
· 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
· salt and pepper to taste
For the Fries
· 5 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into French fries
· Aromat/ garlic salt/ ground garlic
· oil for deep frying
1. Slice the fillet steak into thin and small (about 5 cm width) slices
2. Mix the oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the meat to this mixture and mix well. Put aside for about 10minutes
3. As the meat Marinates, clean the potatoes and dry them. Mix in either the aromat or garlic salt or ground garlic and shake through.
4. Put the potatoes into hot oil and leave to cook. Make sure you check on them every few minutes
5. Mean while in a sauce pan put sauté the mushrooms in butter until they are slightly brown
6. Add onions and garlic continue to sauté until onions are golden and transparent
7. Sprinkle with flour and stir to blend
8. Add cream, stirring a little at a time, simmer until thick and creamy
9. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
10. In a different saucepan (as the sauce cooks) place a little olive oil on the pan and place the fillet steak cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side depending on how well done you want them.
11. By now the fries and sauce should be cooked. Remove them from the heat.
12. Place fillet steak on the plate, pour the mushroom sauce on top of the steak
13. Serve with the fries.
14. HAPPY EATING!