I have never been a big fun of greens let alone spinach. But of late I am discovering new and tasty ways of preparing it that has made it my “new found” green. This meal is pretty healthy (minus the bacon). One serving is about 176 calories, so it’s great for those who are calorie counting. Add a slice of toasted brown bread a little butter and end up with about 300 calories. Anyway as fate would have it on the day I was to try out the recipe I had just gotten some bacon and thought what the hell, so I put some in. It turned out great. This can make a great starter, nice brunch or light meal. I am sorry for the horrible picture quality 😦 . Enjoy
Baked eggs with spinach, tomatoes and bacon
- 3 bunches of spinach
- 1 teaspoons of minced/ crushed garlic
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 8 rashers of bacon
- 4 eggs
1. Heat oven to 200°C.
2. Wash spinach and trim off stalks
3. Put spinach in a pan and cover until it just begins to wilt. Add the garlic and mix well.
4. Divide spinach between four ramekins.
5. Cut up the tomatoes, dhania and bacon
6. Mix the tomatoes, bacon, dhania and chilli flakes, season with salt and pepper.
7. Add this mixture to the ramekins with the spinach.
8. Make a small well in the middle of each dish and crack in an egg.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes depending on how you like your eggs. I kept mine for about 20 minutes.
NB: if you do not have ramekins you can use an oven proof dish. Follow the same procedure but place the eggs on separate ends of the dish.
-You can also get ramekins at Mr. Price Home. I got mine at less than Ksh 300 each