- 1 whole chicken (about 1.5 kg)
- 2 medium sized lemons
- 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons dried rosemary (if you can get fresh even better)
- 1/2 clove of garlic (lightly crushed when bulb is whole)
- Preheat oven to 250°C
- Remove the chicken from the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Clean the chicken thoroughly with cold water then dry it with a towel
- salt and pepper the cavity of the chicken
- Clean 1 lemon and prick it all over using the tip of a sharp knife or fork. Put inside the chickens cavity with 2 teaspoons of rosemary and garlic.
- Season chicken with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Squeeze about half of the remaining lemon on the chicken rubbing well to ensure it’s evenly seasoned. Finally rub the remaining rosemary on the chicken.
- Reduce the oven temperature to about 200°C. Place chicken on middle shelf and cook for about 1hr.
- Cooking time will vary depending on the oven used. Chicken is done if chicken is pricked and the juices are clear.
- Serve with Potatoes or roast veggies
I originally got the idea of this dish from another Kenyan blog called Jikoni Konfidential. I tried it and really liked it so I did some research and found that the dish is called Batata Harra a Lebanese dish that is usually served as an appetizer. So I combined a few recipes and this is what made my mouth happiest 🙂
- 3 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ red bell pepper, cut into thick short strips
- ½ yellow bell pepper, cut into thick short strips
- ½ cup of coriander (Dhania) leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- oil for frying potatoes
- Heat water in a sauce pan till just about to boil, add a little salt, the garlic powder and potatoes.
- let boil for about 5 minutes (till the potatoes are lightly cooked, but not cooked through)
- Heat oil in a wok or sauce pan
- drain potatoes and dry with towel
- Fry potatoes until crisp. Set on a paper towel to drain
- In another pan heat olive oil then add onions, garlic, red and yellow peppers, coriander powder and cayenne pepper and sauté.
- Add potatoes, season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Add ¾ of the coriander leaves and mix well.
- transfer to a plate and garnish with the remaining coriander.
So at the end of the night this is what my plate looked like. If any of you try it please let me know how it goes 🙂