I’ve been out of the loop for so long I think I even forgot how to both write and cook L being out of the desert and in the city is not good for my cooking practice. But anyway I made this dish a few weeks ago just before I came to Nairobi coz I had some prawns in the freezer that I really did not want to leave in the freezer. I got this recipe on pinterest (I love this site) and traced it to a blog called “Our best Bites”. I was never a fun of seafood and when I got to like prawns there were chili garlic prawns and that is what I have always stuck to until I saw this recipe and just thought I would give a try so as to try something different.
I had it with the lemon dhania rice and it was heavenly. I tweeked the recipe a bit as I did not have all the ingredients that were requested. The sauce was just the right balance of sweet and spicy. But all in all it was a good meal, one of those that you smile as you eat, hope you’ll like it. HAPPY COOKING!
- 2-2 1/2 lb. raw prawns
- 4 Tbsp. minced or pressed garlic
- ¼ cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup hot chili paste ( you can get this at Nakumatt if not mix/process some red chilies with oil and a bit of salt)
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
1. Rinse prawns in cold water and place in a large Ziploc bag or container. Combine garlic, ginger, both chili pastes, honey, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and oil in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly. Set aside 1 cup of the marinade. Pour remaining mixture over prawns and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours.
2. if you using bamboo skewers make sure you soak them in water for at least 30minutes before using them, this prevents them from burning.
3. Thread the prawns into the skewers
4. Heat a grill ( I used a griddle pan as I do not have an outdoor grill although this is better done outside due to the smoke) once its hot reduce the heat then place the skewers. Brush the opposite side with some marinade and cook for 1-2minutes, then flip.
5. once you have flipped the skewer again brush the cooked side with the reserved marinade and cook for another 1-2 minutes until pinkish
6. Remove from the grill, then remove the prawns from the skewers and place in a bowl then drizzle with remaining marinade
7. Serve HOT. HAPPY EATING